- 2 1/2 pound pork shoulder
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 cup of fresh orange juice
- 1 lime squeezed
- 1 Tbls of cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tsp of chili powder
- Hot sauce
- 1 Tbls of green chillies
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh Cuban bread
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher pickles
- Virginia ham
- Muenster cheese
- Season the pork with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker.
- Chop the onions and the garlic and place them in the slow cooker along with the orange juice, lime, bay leaves, hot sauce, chicken stock, and green chillies.
- Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove and slice as well as you can. If it's rough don't worry about it.
Assembling the "Cuban Sandwich"
- Cut the bread into a 12 inch serving size and slice it in half length wise.
- Spread the mayonnaise and mustard on one side of the bread.
- Sit plenty of the muenster cheese down on the bread.
- Lay down two slices of the kosher pickle.
- Layer the virginia ham on top of the pickle.
- Top the ham with plenty of pork.
- Cover the pork with more cheese (go for it on the cheese)
- Close the sandwich with the other half of the bread.
- Push down on the sandwich and place it on a hot panini press or any sandwich press.
- Once the bread is toasted and the cheese is melting the sandwich is done.
So even though it was a long process I believe the results were worth it! Mirella came home from work and devoured it! I recommend preparing the sandwiches ahead of time and then pressing them when you're ready to eat. I got an awesome panini press at Target for only $41! When you consider that sandwiches will never be boring at our house again the money is totally worth it! Of course I ate it with green tabasco sauce! It goes perfectly with it. The pork was a little heavy on the cumin for my taste but that's only because I tend not to like cumin so much. It is a must, however, if you are making anything Cuban. If any of my Cuban friends are reading this and want to complain that I used muenster instead of swiss cheese go right ahead! It was the cheese I had and it happens to be my favorite melting cheese after mozzarella of course. I will try it with swiss next time though. Get yourself a panini maker and have fun making this Cuban sandwich! Everyone will love it and it is extremely fulfilling!