Thursday, December 23, 2010

Coq Au Vin

Ingredients 

  • 12 thick slices of bacon cut into small bite size pieces
  • 4 lbs of chicken pieces - Legs, Thighs, and Wings
  • 1 lb of mini portabella mushrooms 
  • 3 medium onions
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • About 25 pearl onions (Throw onions in boiling water for about 3 minutes.  Remove and throw them in ice cold water.  Peel the skin off and set aside)
  • 2 minced shallots
  • 2 cups of chicken stock
  • 1 whole head of garlic (use all the cloves)
  • 3 cups of red wine (pinot noir is what I used)
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • Salt and pepper (season every step)
  • Thyme (dry or fresh)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Fresh parsley 
Preparation

  1. In a large deep skillet or dutch oven over high heat fry the bacon until crisp
  2. If using a slow cooker preheat it on high 
  3. Season chicken with salt and pepper (generously)
  4. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside over paper towel
  5. Fry the chicken pieces on the bacon fat until the outside is browned  (About 3-4 minutes each side. If your pan is not big enough do it in two or three steps)
  6. Set chicken aside over paper towel and reduce heat to medium high
  7. Place the chopped onions, shallots, pearl onions, and garlic in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes stirring a couple of times
  8. Add the mushrooms and cook until their water is released.  About 5 minutes
  9. Season with salt and pepper
  10. Add tomato paste and sprinkle the flour while mixing the sauce. Cook for a minute.
  11. While stirring add the wine, the chicken stock, the bay leaf, the thyme, the bacon, and the chicken and bring everything to a boil. 
  12. If using a dutch oven cover the pan and place it in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours on 350.  If using a slow cooker transfer all ingredients from the boiling pan to the preheated slow cooker and cook for 1 1/2 hours.  If using a regular deep skillet just cover it and cook on low heat for the same amount of time (I used a slow cooker and that is what I recommend)
  13. Remove all chicken pieces from the slow cooker and set aside covered by aluminum foil
  14. Transfer the remaining sauce to a deep skillet or pan and heat on medium high heat for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is thickened (coats the spoon)
  15. Place the chicken pieces in the crock pot and pour the sauce over them
  16. Let cook on high for another 10 minutes to warm them together before serving
  17. Serving suggestions are with mashed potatoes or rice 

Experience 


I had the most amazing Thanksgiving Day!  I pretty much cooked from early morning till dinner time and then made Bananas Forster.  I had the pleasure to cook for my family and two good friends from Brazil who were visiting us.  They pretty much sat down and watched me cook all day while drinking wine (lots of wine lol) and eating the different appetizers I prepared.  It was pretty much a major ego boost for me!  I loved the audience and they were very interested in what I was doing.  At least I think they were lol The dish requires time and patience but it's not as complicated as the directions seem to look like.  If you have an understanding of some basic cooking principles it is quite easy to prepare.  I definitely suggest you prepare this for your family or visitors.  I have a tendency to cook things I have never cooked before when I have guests.  I test my new stuff on guests!  My Coq Au Vin (...and yes, the jokes were plenty) will become our tradition.  We don't really care for turkey at all so making this bird for Thanksgiving was a big hit!  I will only cook it on Thanksgiving and make it our family tradition.  Let's see who our guests will be next year!  I sure wouldn't mind having Katia and Raquel over again!  Thanks!  You have no idea how I loved hearing the compliments and I'm flattered you are cooking this for your families this Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment