- 1 Ready Crust Shortbread or Graham Cracker. I like shortbread more
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 egg yoke
- 4 egg whites
- 1 can condensed milk
- Preheat the oven at 350
- In a blender blend the lemon juice, the egg yoke, and the condensed milk. Blend it enough to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the blended ingredients into the ready crust
- With an electric hand mixer beat the four egg whites in a bowl until the egg whites foam up and stick to the bowl
- Add 2 Tbsps of sugar and mix with a spoon making a merengue
- Place the merengue on top of the blended mix making sure to cover the whole top. Make some peaks and valleys with a fork for aesthetics
- Place in the oven to brown the top. About 5 to 10 minutes
- Cover the pie with the plastic cover the ready crust comes with and place it in the refrigerator to settle before eating it
I believe it was our friend Cleide Capelozza who gave this recipe to my mom over 15 years ago. She is a master in the kitchen and I don't think she uses ready crust. She makes her own! She also makes her own fresh pasta for lasagna! We have all enjoyed this pie over the years and will be making it forever! It's that simple and it's THAT good!!! Enjoy it and make it this holiday season!