Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicken Corn Chowder Comfort


The weather in Jacksonville today was dark, wet, and windy (tornado warnings windy).  Basically perfect weather to stay in eating comfort food and watching a great movie!  I decided to try making a chicken corn chowder!  I had never attempted making any kind of soup or chowder before so it was definitely a learning experience that started at Publix.  As I keep cooking I find myself figuring out what ingredients go into certain dishes.  This was one of them.  I knew I needed chicken stock and heavy cream for my base.  My  other ingredients included potatoes, chicken, corn, mushrooms, celery, garlic, onions, lime, and parsley.  First I sauteed my seasoned thighs on a separate frying pan.  Once they were done I deboned them and roughly chopped them. I chopped my potatoes into small nickel size    
pieces, my celery into small penny size pieces, and then roughly chopped my onions, garlic, mushrooms, and parsley.


With some extra virgin olive oil and butter in the pan I sauteed my onions until they became translucent.  Then I added garlic, celery, salt, and pepper.  I pretty much let this cook on medium to high heat for about 5 minutes.  The fun started when I started adding the rest of the ingredients and saw that I was actually making a chowder.  I added my potatoes, the corn, the parsley, and the mushrooms.  I stir fried them for about 5 minutes before adding 2 cups of fat free chicken stock and a little bit of white wine.  Once it reached a boil I added 2 cups of heavy cream  and a bay leaf.  I then added 2 tbls of flour.  I did it slowly while mixing the chowder as to not create flour lumps. I lowered the heat to about medium so it would cook slowly without burning.  I seasoned it with crushed red peppers and more salt.  It is important to not be afraid of seasoning your food!  Restaurants do it all the time!


Once the potatoes were soft the chowder was pretty much done!  I kept tasting it throughout to make sure the seasoning was right and checking to see if the consistency was good.  If you feel it's too thick add more cream or milk.  If it's too thin then add more flour.  I really, really, recommend making this!  Everyone will love it!  This is all we had for dinner tonight and it was very fulfilling!  I can't understand why people would buy canned soup!!!  Including prep time this should take about 1 hour but you can chop everything up ahead of time!  So, try it this weekend and you won't regret it especially if it's cold or raining outside!

2 comments:

  1. Loved it!! I wish I was home during the day while it was raining, perfect to eat soup and watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete