Friday, February 19, 2010

Baby Back Ribs

The Ingredients


  • 2 full racks of baby back ribs (about 2 1/2 pounds each)
  • 1 Onion 
  • 1 Cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp of paprika
  • 1 tsp of chili powder
  • 1 tsp of cumin
  • Hot sauce


The Recipe
  1. Dry your rib rack with a paper towel.
  2. Mix brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, and cumin.
  3. With your hands rub the dry mix all over the ribs. 
  4. Chop the ribs into 3 or 4 pieces so that you can fit them into the slow cooker.
  5. Roughly chop the onion and also place it in the slow cooker on top of the ribs.
  6. Pour 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce over them.  I love Sticky Fingers Sweet Carolina Sauce so that's what I used.
  7. Add your favorite hot sauce.
  8. Close your crock pot and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
  9. Carefully remove ribs from the crock pot and let them rest on a plate.  Leave the fattening liquid behind.
  10. Pour some more bbq sauce over the ribs and serve with whatever sides you like.

The Experience

When I saw these baby back ribs on sale a couple of days ago I knew I was in for a treat!  This was probably my favorite dish so far!  I ate so much!  I could've let the ribs marinade in the bbq sauce for a few hours but since I was cooking them in the crock pot I didn't really see the need for it.  Rubbing them with my dry rub mix was a lot of fun too.  It always seems weird for a Brazilian to put sugar on meat!  The combination of the sweet and hot taste is simply divine.  It only took me about 10 minutes to prep everything and clean up.  The rest was up to my new favorite kitchen tool... the crock pot!  I definitely didn't want to pour the remaining liquid on the ribs so it was good that I had extra sauce.  Who needs the extra fat anyway?  I served these baby backs with roasted steak potatoes!  YUM!!!  Perfect combination!  They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  I will do a post on roasting potatoes in a few days so stay tuned for that one!  Definitely make this at home!  The whole meal cost about $25 to make and was enough for 4 people.  Try getting that deal at a restaurant!  Ribs is one of those foods that you crave every once in a while so now that I can make them myself I'll be craving them a lot more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment