Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jumbo Stuffed Chicken Quarters

The Ingredients
  • 4 Jumbo chicken quarters
  • 1 cup of broccoli
  • 2 cups of corn meal
  • 1 stick of butter (room temp)
  • 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
  • 3 Tbls of tomato paste
  • 1/2 package of dry French onion soup
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Adobo
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • Chili powder
The Recipe
  1. Preheat Oven to 350
  2. Quickly steam the broccoli, remove and chop into small pieces. 
  3. Season your chicken with adobo. Go for it on the seasoning! 
  4. In a bowl put in the corn meal, butter, 1 Tbls of tomato paste, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and broccoli. 
  5. Combine all ingredients with your hands.
  6. Clean off some of the fat of the chicken but leave skin intact.  With your fingers go under the skin and create a pocket. 
  7. Little by little insert stuffing into the pocket.  Make sure you have enough for all four chicken quarters.
  8. Brush some olive oil in a large casserole and lay down the chicken skin side up.
  9. Rub the remaining tomato paste on top of the chicken and coat with some olive oil.
  10. Sprinkle dry French Onion soup mix over the skin of each quarter.  
  11. Put in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. 
  12. Brush some of the oil over the chicken before serving.
The Experience

As soon as I saw these jumbo chicken quarters at the supermarket I thought to myself "hum, I can stuff those puppies!" That's exactly what I did!  Now, I could've put some bacon in my stuffing which would've made it amazing but I decided to go the vegetable route.  I already had a bag of frozen broccoli in the freezer so it made sense to me to mix it with the corn meal I had in the pantry.  The important thing is to mix the butter with your stuffing.  This allows the butter to drip down the chicken leaving the meat extremely tender and tasty!Butter is one of the four answers to everything:  Jesus, Chocolate, Butter, and Cheese.  Whenever someone is eating something and they say, "wow, this is so good!  What's in it?" If the answer is not Jesus, Chocolate, or Cheese, then it must be Butter!!!  If you don't have broccoli you can use almost any other vegetable.  Some that I will eventually try include zucchini, okra, spinach, mushrooms, and kale.  All with the same ratio from the recipe above.  Just like all other dishes that require you to get your hands dirty this was extremely fun and easy to make!  Unless you can't stand touching raw chicken meat with bones.  I actually got a kick out of getting under the chicken's skin! LOL  The result was a success!  I served it over some spinach seasoned with lemon and extra virgin olive oil.  I wanted to make some rice and beans but I wanted to balance out the meal with a lighter accompanying side.  My love handles will thank me later!  I will definitely make this again but next time I want to try it with a different vegetable just to see how it will taste.  The chicken was delicious and tender!  If you want to change how you bake your chicken this might be the way to go for you!  Have fun making it and remember to always Season Your Food!                         


No comments:

Post a Comment