Monday, February 6, 2012

Juice Fast - Day One


This post, along with the next consecutive ones, will not contain an ingredients list nor a preparation list.  It will, however, contain my experience as I go through a ten day juice fast.  For those who know me a long time this may seem like a joke but I am determined to make it through ten days.  Why ten days?  Because that's the number that came to my mind after watching the movie FatSickandNearlyDead with Joe Cross.  I felt in my heart that ten days on just juice would be a challenge but it would also be attainable.  On the 4th of July, 2009 I rode my bike by the beach with some friends.  After riding for about 1 mile I found myself out of breath.  I have never smoked and have only drank alcohol sparingly throughout my life.  I do, however, love to eat!  I love to eat good food that I prepare and good food at the many restaurants we have visited over the years.  I am the guy who memorizes menus from restaurants!

After turning 30 I started becoming more aware of how much I eat and what I eat.  The day after my pathetic bike ride by the beach on the 4th of July I decided I would do something about my weight.  I was weighing 240lbs!  About 50lbs over where I want to be.  I started riding my bicycle frequently and running/walking.  Soon I was able to run 3 miles non stop and my weight was coming down fast!  I reduced my calorie intake and looked for healthier choices.  I remember being really proud of myself for running my first ever race... The 6K Outback Classic on Thanksgiving Day in Jacksonville, FL.  I was definitely on my way down to 200lbs but then the holidays happened.  I reached a plateau.  

I did get back on the road in January and eventually ran the 15K Gate River Run but then soon afterwards I got lazy again.  I have seen this pattern in the past 3 years since I first started running and trying to be in shape.  I always have something going on to allow me to rationalize not heading out for a run.  Watching the movie and seeing how Joe Cross was able to fast for 60 days not only motivated me but it also made me realize that a lot of the rationalizing came from a lack of energy and will power.  

The year of 2011 was a tough year in my running and staying fit journey.  I had friends motivating me back in the spring to get out there and run.  I had just run the Disney Half Marathon and the Gate River Run but from March till December I felt stuck in my own skin. I gained most of my weight back. I am now at 231lbs. I knew what needed to be done but I didn't do it.  I knew how to get back into shape but I chose to not bother. Through bad nutrition and choices I didn't have the will power to beat my emotions and feelings that kept me down.  I have always been an emotional eater.  Not because I eat when I'm sad... it's because I like to eat for any happy, sad, or slightly interesting occasion.  I was reminded of this this afternoon as we left the Dr's office with an ultrasound picture of our baby.  My first thought was "let's go eat to celebrate"!  That usually means stick to your bones food! 

I don't believe that eating is the problem.  What and how much I eat is the bigger issue!  My choices are never anything that involves vegetables.  I have about 1 fruit a week... if that!  During my weight loss I  made changes.  I was eating oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast and grilled chicken sandwiches.  Something happens in, I believe, all of us that keeps us from making the right choices.  This is perhaps the biggest lesson I gleaned from the movie and from the recent research I have done into the world of raw food and specifically juicing.  Our bodies become addicted to bleached flour, high fructose corn syrup, and saturated fats.  I started analyzing my food choices... very little nutritious foods throughout the years.  

As I embarked on my ten day fast this morning I started thinking about the other times I was able to lose weight.  What guarantee do I have that this time it'll be long lasting?  How can I be sure that after my fast I will go back to routinely eating pizza, subs, burgers, and other fattening foods?  The answer is I can't be sure.  I can only move forward and learn with each step. Sure, I will eat those things again but I need to balance them with nutrition.  According to my recent research I will be able to cleanse my body of toxins that inhibit my body from being what God intended it to be.  Self healing and full of the nutrients I need to think better, look better, and feel better.  My plan is to go through this fast successfully and then follow the guidelines I found in this website http://www.rawpeople.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=594&Itemid=110  

Before today I kept searching for a fast guide and although I found a few none of them compared to the tips and guidelines I got from "rawpeople".  I don't want to go to the other extreme.  We recently walked into a Native Sun store and couldn't believe how unhealthy so many of the people looked!  They weren't fat but they lacked luster in their step.  I want to flip my food pyramid as talked about in the movie and I believe that a lifestyle of daily juicing will help me achieve what I am looking for.  If after this fast I can include at least 2 fresh and healthy juices in my diet I know I will be headed in the right direction.

Day One has not been easy.  I just had a before bed herbal tea.  I have a headache and don't feel too good. This was expected.  It also doesn't help that I am suffering from a really bothersome ear infection that kept me home from work tonight.  I am learning about different combinations of juices.  In my effort to drink a well balanced juice throughout my fast I have juiced a couple of things that at first I didn't like:  Tomato, cilantro, and more than one leaf of collard greens.  On the other hand cucumber is pretty good! I am excited about this journey and am glad I made this choice.  I have already seen Summer's excitement to learn about the veggies and fruits.  I know how much influence I have in her.  This kind of influence is priceless. 


I am making some videos of myself using the juicer.  At the end of my fast I will put some of them together on YouTube. 

I was deeply encouraged with all the motivation I received on Facebook on a recent picture I posted upon returning from the Farmer's Market.  Thank you and please feel free to follow, subscribe, and share this blog and post. 


2 comments:

  1. You can do it!!!!! That Was so deep And personal!!!! You motivated me already. I had Collard green/orange juice for breakfast instead of coffee!

    ReplyDelete